From April through October apprentices from all participating farms gather at one farm for a visit and/or workshop. There are 11 visits over the season on Saturday mornings or Monday afternoons. Each visit includes an overview of the farm as well as a hands-on demonstration of one or two specific topics. Mid-season one of the farms hosts a mid-summer party and social. At the end of the season there is a final meeting to discuss possible next steps to help apprentices get closer to farming on their own.
We hope to:
- Give a broader experience to interns than they can receive on their farm alone.
- Provide a peer base to help interns connect with others who share similar goals.
- Increase the skill base in sustainable agriculture.
Here is a list of subjects we hope to cover with our students during the farm visits:
- greenhouse/season extension
- mechanics and equipment safety
- soil health
- small scale/start up
- horse power
- cover crops
- mechanical cultivation
- seeds and genetics
- integrating crops and livestock
- business management
- whole farm systems
- small grains